This intermediate course will provide participants with an in-depth knowledge of underground utility hazards. Students will use the locating tools used in their own municipality, and will fully understand the principles and practices to follow when locating underground hazards.
Module 1: Introduction to Damage Prevention in British Columbia
Module 2: The Locating System in BC
Module 3: Utilities Infrastructure
Module 4: Fundamentals of Electromagnetic Locating
Module 5: Safety and Professionalism
Module 6: Records, Maps and Documentation
Module 7: Solving Problems
The objectives of this course are to provide you with the knowledge and skills so that you can:
- Locate underground utilities safely and effectively.
- Apply skills in accordance with regulation and best practice.
- Organization is required to select 3 – 4 site addresses, initiate & collect related BC 1 Call as built drawings/information and City Infrastructure as built drawings for the site addresses for the class to go onto site & locate, etc.
- Workers will be required to participate in field work, please ensure workers are prepared for all different types of weather conditions (i.e. wet conditions)
- Each organization brings their own locating devices, recommended one device per two people.
- Workers need appropriate personal protective equipment
3-days including a 1-hour exam
Supervisors Safety Certificate Program:
$550 per person.
Minimum $3,300 charge per class.
Certificate of Completion
BCMSA Recommended – 3 years