Senior Health and Safety Advisor
A perfect blend of safety expertise and administrative magic. It’s our people formula at the BCMSA. Our team is growing, and we want you to join us! The British Columbia Municipal Safety Association (BCMSA) is an independent, non-profit organization committed to improving workplace health and safety throughout the province.
About the Role:
We are looking for a dynamic, team orientated and dedicated Senior Health and Safety Advisor. Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with our management team you will have the opportunity to make major impact in occupational health and safety across British Columbia’s local government sector. Responsibilities include providing advice and support services to our membership in mitigating health and safety issues, advancing safety culture and ensuring occupational health and safety systems align with or exceed legislative standards/requirements with the goal of making a positive impact on industry wide health and safety KPI’s. Contributing to the ongoing development, implementation, coordination, and administration of the BCMSA’s internal and external Occupational Health and Safety Programs. This role requires the ability to develop and recommend solutions based on strategic and analytical problem solving; anticipate trends and create innovative strategies, establish priorities, set, and meet goals to accomplish objectives; organize and manage deadlines.
Focus areas include:
- Advance workplace health and safety compliance with legislative standards/regulations and industry wide best practices
- Manage BCMSA’s health and safety resource portfolio (inventory of programs, safety talks, strategic initiatives etc.)
- Statistical analysis on WorkSafeBC data
- Engage with membership to understand injury rates and how to implement costs reductions
- Participate/lead subcommittee’s/working groups
- Create and sustain strategic relationship with regulatory bodies, our membership and other key partners.
- Support the COR program
Who You Are:
- You have a formal education in a post–secondary diploma, related degree, or certificate in Occupational Health and Safety; a safety-related professional designation (CRSP) is an asset
- You have 5-7 years of related experience, preferably in a municipal environment
- Your communication skills are second only to your ability to foster positive and productive relationships as trust and confidence are crucial to your success.
- Your confident in your knowledge of safety requirements for municipalities, including regulatory information and safe practice information; knowledge of the policies, regulations, statutes and legislation governing the work
- You have experience in designing/implementing safety initiatives and delivering safety resources to diverse work groups.
- You can exercise effective leadership and sound judgment
- You are technologically savvy and love working in a fast-paced environment
Why Work for the BCMSA:
- We genuinely care about each other and the membership we serve
- We foster our positive workplace culture through teambuilding events and a supportive work environment
- We offer a comprehensive remuneration package including a competitive salary of $85,000 to $105,000 (2021 rates), excellent health and dental benefit packages, municipal pension plan, employee wellness programs, opportunities for personal and professional development.
Connect with us and find out more at www.bcmsa.ca/careers. Have a question or want to learn more about the role? Anyone from our team would be happy to chat.
If this looks like the opportunity to make a difference that you have been searching for, please forward your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. Friday, October 8th, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.